Post-arrival Checklist

Once you have arrived in the UK, there are still a number of bureaucratic steps that you need to consider. Our post-arrival checklist provides some information on what things you need to do, in order to settle in as soon as possible.

More detailed information about each of the steps listed below can be found on the following pages of this website.


  • Carrying a copy of your job acceptance offer, degree certificates, reference letter from your bank, driving licence, passport and notes of the serial numbers of your traveller’s cheques in your hand luggage could be useful;
  • Apply for a National Insurance Number;
  • Apply for a UK Driver’s Licence, if required;
  • Register with the police, if required;
  • Register to vote in local and European elections if you are eligible.



  • Have some British Pounds (sterling) and/or traveller’s cheques with you on arrival.  Note that you can use your debit or credit card to withdraw pounds from the cash machines in the UK. Please note that there is likely to be a charge involved;
  • Open a UK bank account.  Note that banks will ask you to provide numerous documents.



  • Arrange to pay utility bills such as gas, electricity, water and council tax;
  • If you own a television you will need to get a television licence;
  • Arrange a telephone and internet connection;
  • Consider taking out home contents insurance to cover your possessions;
  • If you have a car you will need car tax, a MOT certificate (if your car is over three years old) and insurance.



  • Register with a local doctor in the area where you live;
  • Register with a dentist; note that you may need to join a waiting list;
  • If you are a visitor from the European Economic Area or Switzerland apply for a European health insurance card as this will entitle you to state healthcare in EEA countries at a reduced cost or perhaps free of charge.



  • Arrange appropriate child care if needed;
  • Enrol your child in a school; note your child will not be offered a state school place until you are living in the UK and have a UK address;
  • Consider taking your child to social groups / events;
  • Apply for Child Tax Credits or Child Benefit if you are eligible.